Wednesday, October 14, 2015

31 Days of Learning to Simplify: Running from my comfort zone


I am busy prepping to attend my very first writing and blogging conference. Ummm, YIKES. Here is the number of people I know attending: ZERO. 

Yep. It feels like the first day of my big girl college class in the overwhelmingly large conference room with theater seating. Just. so. intimidating. 

I am stepping into this alone and for all practical purposes stepping WAY THE HECK outside of my comfort zone. Actually I would say this qualifies as running away from my comfort zone. It's there and I'm here. As in, I have left my comfort zone in the dust. Gone. Imma need my big girl panties for this one. 

I'm an introvert, albeit a social one. I'm reserved with new people. I'm easily nervous about entering a situation I've never been in before. I hesitate to call myself "a blogger" or "a writer." It feels presumptuous to label myself the same as these people who I admire, who are far more experienced and talented than I am. Am I even worthy of a title? All of my natural tendencies tell me to race back to my comfort bubble but instead I find myself running toward the thing that scares me most. 

Even a few years ago, I would have never had the guts to do anything like this. But my world has grown and so have I. I've traveled to Thailand twice to talk to people about Jesus. I've grown and birthed and loved a baby. I'm dang close to the big 3-0 and I'm not getting any younger. 

There are ONE MILLION reasons I could have, should have, said no to this conference. But. When I consider what I believe I was made for, what I have been called to, the answer is quite simple.  

WHY NOT?

That's what I would tell you if you are hesitant to make a big, scary decision that could alter your path and make you uncomfortable. Why not? It's that simple, so don't bother listing the reasons why you should say no. Instead consider why you should say YES.  

I have heard from others and learned for myself that the scary things are usually the best things. When I want to run - I should, only not backwards - I should sprint forward toward the big and the intimidating because those are the places that will teach me and push me and change me. I'm counting on this: big risk = big reward.

The same goes for you. Run. I'm cheering you on.

No comments :

Post a Comment