Monday, May 11, 2015

when things aren't as they seem. {family picture day}

Back in February, our favorite photographer shot some one year photos of Aven. She also did our maternity and newborn photos, so we were excited to shoot with her again. She's one of those photographers that just makes you feel beautiful and comfortable in front of the camera. Basically, a total pro.  Which, as you'll see, is especially helpful when dealing with a cranky toddler. We recently got the photos back and they are simply GORGEOUS. But seeing them took me back to the day of the shoot which was an all around fail, not exaggerating. It reminded me - things aren't always as they seem. Not in photos. Not in life.


Here's what you should know.

On the day of this shoot, Aven woke up early. Like 6:15 early. She refused her typical morning nap. She also hated the lunch I offered her, because of course. Nap attempt #2 was a success but short-lived. Not only did the quick nap interrupt my shower (kiiiind of important before taking special photos) but it also ate into my outfit planning time. So I grabbed some random pieces from everyone's closet and a handful of flower crowns and just hoped they would all work together. After taking the first round of pictures I decided it was time for a bottle and a diaper change because THEN we would have a happy baby. Except, NOT. No. That is not how it went down.

Oh, and P.S., it was overcast and sprinkling on and off. For the love.

We called it a day and crossed our fingers that something magical would take place inside her camera. Welcome to motherhood, yes?

But then, this:





Magic. 

She is so beautiful it hurts. No one would ever know the madness that actually went on, thanks to our flipping amazing photographer. Unless, of course, I told you. 

So that's why I'm telling you. Because you need to be reminded that things aren't always as they seem. 

When you see someone's presentation of a life that appears a little too picture perfect... a little too good to be true? It probably is. Without a doubt.

Remember, there is an entire cutting room floor littered with layers upon layers of images that were mediocre or just straight up terrible. And if we're being honest, we'd be pretty happy if those never see the light of day. True for family photos; true for life. I have countless pieces of my life, parts of me, attitudes, actions, and choices that certainly aren't fit for framing. I'm guessing you'd say the same thing. 

Grump face exhibit A:

Never forget about the cutting room floor. You have one. I have one. We all have one. Awareness of this is how we battle insecurity and inferiority. No one has it together in every category. That is just delusional thinking. And in the same way, letting others in on your flaws cultivates humility - even when it's hard and uncomfortable.

As a follower of Christ, we need to use the unedited and less-than-pretty to point to the One who can make it right. 
“My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. 2 Corinthians 12:9


All images in this post are (c) D. Crowe Photography. She is the definition of a gifted photographer, and I'm grateful to have her permission to share these photos on my blog. 


No comments :

Post a Comment