Thursday, July 23, 2015

current book stack


I'm always reading something these days. Usually it's Very Hungry Caterpillar or Night, Night Baby! because my toddler is obsessed with books....and hey, I ain't mad about it. When I'm not reading kid books, I'm working through a few of my own picks. Only recently did I learn to juggle reading more than one book at a time, because multitasking is every mother's middle name. #welcometomotherhood. 

{I used to claim that being a mom has kept me from taking the time to read, but that's just not true. I wasn't making it a priority. So now I'm learning to use my time in a more intentional way, which you can read about here.}




For the Love: Fighting for Grace in a World of Impossible Standards | Jen Hatmaker
I got the opportunity to read an early copy of this book (not yet released, but you can pre-order it here). I'll be sharing more about this one when the book actually launches on August 18!

Bringing Up Bebe | Pamela Druckerman
A fascinating and humorous comparison of parenting in the US vs. France. Apparently tantruming toddlers and babies who don't sleep through the night are not international issues. It doesn't make me want to move to Paris, but there are some very wise (and shockingly simple) parenting principles I hope I'll be able to implement. It's more of a mindset blueprint than a book full of "tips and tricks." I'm just bummed that I'm only just now reading this as a mom to an 18 month old. So if you're expecting, start with this one and you'll likely skip the other "go-to" parenting books. 

On Being a Writer | Kroeker & Craig
I haven't started it yet, but as a wannabe writer, this is one I'm excited to jump into.

Anchored | Kayla Aimee
I'm easily captivated by birth stories. For real. I get sucked in and I could sit for hours reading one after another and crying and looking at the pictures and reminiscing about my own experience. I realize this is not normal. I'm perfectly okay with that. "Anchored" is about one mom's journey through a premie birth and NICU days. I'm a big fan of Kayla's writing and use of humor even with a heavy topic.

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up | Marie Kondo
Since I recently moved, I've been in purge mode for a couple of months. Once I heard about this book, I knew I wanted to give it a try. (I even coerced a coworker to read it with me). I feel like it's my responsibility to warn you: she's going to instruct you to talk to your clothes and tell you not to ball up your socks because they deserve to relax in the drawer. HOWEVER, if you can look past the wack (should I start a hashtag, #pastthewack?) I promise you'll be chunking garbage bag after garbage bag full of clutter, and learning how to keep it from re-accumulating. 


Humor. Truth. A challenge. That's basically what I'm into reading about right now. 

What are you reading? I'd love to know so I can add it to my list. :)




No comments :

Post a Comment